Treatments for Autism
Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Picture exchange communication system—involves using pictures rather than words to communicate
- Sign language—involves using hand signals rather than speech to communicate
- Facilitated communication—involves helping a child to use a keyboard or another device to communicate
- Speech and language therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Social skills instruction—to help teach appropriate social interactions
- Sensory integration therapy—to help with organizing sensory information
- Developmental optometry—to help with vision problems that are related to learning
Autism 101: a free online course. The Autism Society website. Available at: http://support.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=about%5Fcourse . Accessed May 14, 2013.
Autism through the lifespan. The Autism Society website. Available at: http://www.autism-society.org/living-with-autism/lifespan . Accessed May 14, 2013.
Autism spectrum disorders. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated May 6, 2013. Accessed May 14, 2013.
Autism spectrum disorders (pervasive developmental disorders). National Institute of Mental Health website. Available at: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/autism-spectrum-disorders-pervasive-developmental-disorders/index.shtml . Updated May 14, 2013. Accessed May 14, 2013.
Behrman RE, Kliegman R, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics . 18th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2007.
Goetz CG. Goetz’s Textbook of Clinical Neurology . 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2007.
Jacobson JL, Jacobson AM. Psychiatric Secrets . 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Hanley & Belfus; 2001.
Methods and strategies: treatment and education of autistic and related communication handicapped children (TEACCH). Autism Connect website. Available at: http://www.autismconnectmd.org/education/methods/teach.html . Accessed May 14, 2013.
Moore DP, Jefferson JW. Handbook of Medical Psychiatry . 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Mosby; 2004.
Myers S, Johnson C, the Council on Children with Disabilities. Management of children with autism spectrum disorders. Pediatrics . 2007 Nov; 120(5):1162-82.
Pivotal response training (PRT). Midland County Educational Service Agency website. Available at: http://www.mcesa.k12.mi.us/Documents/AI%20Tip%20sheets/Pivotal%20Response%20Training.pdf . Accessed May 14, 2013.
Rapin I. An 8-year-old boy with autism. JAMA . 2001;285:1749-1757.
Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry . Philadelphia, PA: Mosby Elsevier; 2008.